Friday, October 8, 2021

Picture this

 A friend asked recently if I keep photos of times from years past, photos she said help make the memories stronger.

I don't know if I have any photos. If I do, I don't intend to go looking for them. The memories are what they are. The photos put real parameters on memories. One should not do that, I think. Just invent your own fantasy around those memories and tell the story anyway you want, and not the way the camera tells it.

Who owns a camera now?


I had a box once, chock-full of photos from 1995, 1998, 2006, 2010 ... there was nobody who wanted to look at them and -- for fux sake -- did not want me to narrate the contents. So, to answer the question ... photos are a waste of time.

That's kind of the point with writing, as in showing and not telling. A tall tree, a pretty sunset, a lovely smile, a nasty attitude, a growling creature or an electrical storm with lightning bolts that are really really really long -- as in, do you measure that in meters? Or in some data-driven concept from the Planet Tylofius?

My neighbor has a tall tree. I could photograph it and stash it in a box or a folder and someday, somebody who threw my computer in the recycling box will say, "remember when these things were new?"

Find your dream lover, put together a world where dream lovers can exist and make it a happy place. The late painter Bob Ross is legendary for that concept. 

It ain't nothin' till you say it is. Scrap thee camera.



No comments:

Post a Comment